Transitions are hard. But I’m going with it.

Yesterday was another day where we had to drive over 4 hours total to go to our kids specialists doctor appointment. It was not a fun day.

Both my 6 and 4 year old saw a their pulmonary doctor, and he was in with us for a long time. Like, in the room with us for probably close to an hour. It was a lot. Thankfully, my husband was able to come and help me. These appointments are so hard to do alone.

My 6 year old failed all of the breathing tests, which is concerning but not surprising I, and my 4 year old wasn’t tested due to age. The doctor wants both of them to get sleep studies, start on a daily inhaler, and is ordering them both a special vest they can wear to help them cough more effectively to clear their lungs. I’ve been wanting one of those for my 4 year old for foreverrrrr, so I’m really glad he’ll finally have one.

We left the house at 6:30am and got home around 1:15. So it was a long day. When we got home, I decided to be crazy and move bedrooms around. My husband has been wanting to do it for a while, so he was all about my temporary moment of insanity. We need to put my 6 and 4 year old in the same bedroom so we can eventually move the baby into his own room. He’s 5 months old, and I’m not quite ready to move him out yet. But we do need to start thinking about it.

So we moved his bed into my oldest sons room and hoped for the best. 2 hours later, everyone was still awake, so I had him go back to his own room to sleep. Sigh. Maybe we’ll try again tonight. He gets sooo excited to be in there, and it’s hard for him to transition. Older brother, on the other hand, HATES it. But it has to happen.

Continuing on in my path of madness, I decided last night was be a good night to transition Atlas to sleeping with both arms out, as opposed to swaddling one arm and letting him have one arm out. That…didn’t go great? He woke up around 9pm and didn’t really want to go back to sleep for a few hours. So that was fun.

Today my oldest is back at school, my 4 year old is grumpy from not getting enough sleep (and so am I, to be honest), and I’m ready for the weekend.

All of these little changes are hard. I’ve been putting them off and procrastinating making these changes because I’m afraid of the interruptions I know they’ll cause. But I have to just keep going with it. I can’t give in after one rough night.

So I guess we’ll try again tonight. Ultimately, it will be good. It will be very nice to have my room back, and to not worry about trying to be quiet in my own room without worrying about waking the baby. He has a tent over his bed (he has a slumber pod over the Snoo) and that combination has been working extremely well. So well that I’m terrified of transitioning him to the crib.

This is an older picture, but it shows the same setup he currently has

This morning got off to a rough start with everyone being a bit too tired for their own good. It’s probably going to be a day that demands a bit more patience from me.

But it’s Friday, and that means that hopefully tomorrow will be an easier day. And at least no one has any therapies or appointments.

I guess my goal for today is to just…be okay. Just accept that things are how they are right now. My kids have health concerns that keep getting more complicated. This time of year is full of grief and pain. And we’re in a period of transition that lends to no one sleeping well.

It’s all okay.

It is what it is.

All of us at the doctor yesterday. So glad my husband was able to come and help me.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: